A Homeschool Language Arts Curriculum That Helps You Explore the World of Words
Embracing English language arts (ELA) is an integral part of a holistic homeschooling program. ELA refers to the curriculum and teaching that focuses on the exploration of the English language and includes skills such as reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
A homeschool language arts curriculum should be all-encompassing and explore the many diverse facets of language usage and understanding. It should also spark a love of language in children and give them the tools they need to express themselves confidently and effectively. The Homeschool+ language arts curriculum was designed with these ideals in mind.
What Language Arts Skills Can My Child Learn with the Homeschool+ Curriculum?
Language arts is a cornerstone in home education, and the Homeschool+ curriculum is designed to support your homeschool language arts goals in a flexible and customizable manner.
Homeschool+ provides a language arts foundation for children ages 4 to 8. Our program starts with easy-to-understand interactive language skills and builds on that knowledge as your child deepens their understanding.
Our curriculum blends engaging online lessons with unique offline, hands-on learning opportunities that allow you and your child to pick from various learning activities. Each lesson offers the opportunity to explore topics as deeply as you’d like.
Along with cultivating literacy, self-expression, and communication skills, the Homeschool+ language arts curriculum can help your child learn the following skills:
- Understand and interpret various types of texts
- Make connections to their own experiences
- Write more clearly and effectively
- Practice using diverse vocabulary for precise
Grammar and Syntax
- Study rules and structures of the English language
- Understand use of nouns, verbs, and adjectives
- Learn meanings and uses of new words
- Improve ability to express thoughts and ideas
Preschool Language Arts
Our preschool language arts program focuses on building beginner reading skills with our reading curriculum, My Reading Academy™. The program takes on a fully individualized, adaptive learning approach that’s based on the science behind successful reading. It adapts to your child’s skill level, growing their reading abilities at a just-right pace.
My Reading Academy was created by literacy experts after years of research and testing and addresses every element of reading instruction with fun and relatable learning materials.
Here’s a glimpse at a few concepts your preschooler can learn:
- Practicing letters and sounds
- Recognizing rhyming words
- Identifying missing letters in words
- Making predictions
Concepts Such As:
Kindergarten Language Arts
Our kindergarten language arts curriculum continues to guide your child to read independently. Using the adaptive technology of My Reading Academy, your child can continue growing their understanding of letters, words, sounds, and reading.
Here are a few of the many concepts your child can learn with our kindergarten language arts program:
- Advanced practice with sight words, letters, and sounds
- Identifying facts and details from various books
- Retelling events in a fiction book
- Practice matching uppercase and lowercase letters
Concepts Such As:
1st Grade Language Arts
The Homeschool+ first-grade language arts curriculum emphasizes reading comprehension and developing writing skills. Children will create an author’s purpose web, assemble graphic organizers, and learn how to skillfully use language to support their unique identity and goals. They’ll also have the opportunity to start learning fundamental grammar skills.
Here are a few examples of the language arts skills your child can learn:
- Develop reading strategies and understand author’s purpose
- Discuss the plot, topic, and main idea of various pieces of writing
- Explore writing techniques
- Recognizing different forms of words
Lessons Such As:
2nd Grade Language Arts Curriculum
In second grade, your child can study various forms of text, from poems to personal narratives to how-to articles. They can also build their grammar and writing skills, learning how words work together to create meaning in sentences and texts and practicing different writing styles.
This program includes many essential language arts skills. Here are a few of them:
- Create timelines and write opinion pieces
- Write personal narratives, reports, and biographies
- Learn about and practice making inferences
- Understand parts of speech and punctuation
Lessons Such As: