1st Grade Curriculum
Your Homeschool, Your Way™. From the creators of ABCmouse®.
A 1st Grade Curriculum Designed for Homeschooling
Our first-grade homeschool curriculum is designed with your child in mind. With flexible lessons and a wide range of home educator tools, you can customize our program to homeschool your child in a way that works best for you. From math and language arts to science, reading, social studies, and more, our curriculum offers a diverse and balanced approach to learning.
Our interactive lessons, hands-on activities, and captivating resources help your child explore new concepts, develop critical thinking skills, and foster a love for learning.
What Skills Can My First Grader Learn with the Homeschool+ Curriculum?
First grade is an exciting time for learning, especially as children become more confident readers. They have already learned the basics of language, such as the alphabet and letter sounds. Learning to read becomes the foundation for all subjects in later grades.
Along with our adaptive reading program, our first-grade curriculum also includes a wide range of interactive lessons in core subjects and beyond. Children will explore science and social studies topics, learning about plants, animals, weather, communities, geography, and more. Our language arts program is designed to help develop their grammar and writing skills while strengthening their reading comprehension.
Your child will also engage in art, music, and language learning activities to foster creativity and personal expression. Our first-grade homeschool program aims to provide a solid academic foundation that nurtures curiosity and an excitement for learning.
Here are some important skills that our curriculum is designed to teach your first grader:
Language and Literacy Development
- Sentence formation and writing skills
- Phonics and reading comprehension
Numeracy and Mathematical Concepts
- Counting backwards, forwards, and skips counting
- Basic addition and subtraction
- Inverstigating the natural world, commuity, and geography
- History and life cycles
- Mixing colors and creating expressive art
- Music appreciation and exploration
1st Grade Reading Curriculum
At Homeschool+, we understand the importance of helping children develop early reading skills. To help your child connect with our program, we provide a variety of reading materials that can spark their interest, offer just-right reading challenges, and help develop their enjoyment with reading.
Our program, My Reading Academy™, offers a digital library with interactive books and resources to help children master foundational reading skills. It’s a personalized curriculum that adapts to their needs, building a strong foundation in reading, comprehension, and fluency. The program’s adaptive technology ensures your child progresses at their own pace, with appropriate challenges for optimal learning outcomes.
Our first-grade reading curriculum explores many essential reading concepts. Here are a few of the key ideas your first grader will study:
- Differentiating important and less important details in nonfiction
- Identifying domain-specific words for text comprehension
- Understanding the topic of a text
- Retelling events from independently read fiction books
- Using text evidence to support answers in nonfiction texts
Concepts Such As:
1st Grade Language Arts
The Homeschool+ first-grade language arts curriculum helps your child work towards understanding the fundamental rules of grammar and writing and is designed to enhance their reading and listening comprehension skills and abilities to express themselves through writing. While using our course’s engaging lessons, your child will explore the English language, how it’s structured, and how to become a better writer. Our language arts curriculum aims to equip your child with the tools they need to communicate effectively.
Our first-grade language arts curriculum focuses on the following:
- Parts of speech, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs
- Sentence structure, types of sentences, and punctuation
- Using descriptive words to enhance writing and speaking
- Grammar rules, such as noun plurals, verb tenses, and possessive nouns
- Writing skills, including proper sentence formation and practicing different forms of writing
Lessons Such As:
1st Grade Math Curriculum
Our first-grade homeschool math curriculum works to build upon your child’s mathematical understanding by continuing to work on fundamental concepts and increasing numerical understanding. We prioritize developing number sense, including place value, understanding two- and three-digit numbers, and writing numbers. Our homeschool math curriculum engages students through hands-on activities and interactive games and videos, helping to create an enjoyable learning experience. With our adaptive program, My Math Academy®, first graders gain confidence and essential skills to navigate the world of mathematics and continue building on a strong basis for future learning.
The Homeschool+ first-grade math curriculum covers a variety of math concepts. Here is a glimpse of what your child will be learning:
- Comparing two-digit numbers (<, >, =)
- Counting forwards and backwards on a hundred chart
- Identifying digits and numerals in two-digit and three-digit numbers
- Recalling addition and subtraction facts accurately
- Representing numbers with base ten blocks and objects
Concepts Such As:
1st Grade Science Curriculum
Our first-grade homeschool science curriculum offers an exciting journey of exploration and discovery. Through engaging courses and lessons, children will learn about fascinating topics such as the human body, plants, animals and their habitats, weather, and the process of scientific thinking. They will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on experiments, interactive activities, and discussions that tap into their curiosity and help develop their understanding of the natural world. Our curriculum aims to inspire a genuine interest in science and foster a sense of wonder.
Some of the concepts covered in our first-grade science curriculum include:
- Exploring the characteristics and interactions of animals and plants
- Learning about weather patterns and seasons and their effects
- Developing skills to think like a scientist and conduct experiments
- Investigating various forms of energy and the principles of motion
Lessons Such As:
1st Grade Social Studies Curriculum
Our first-grade homeschool social studies curriculum immerses children in exciting adventures geared towards teaching them fundamental social studies concepts. They will learn to expand their thinking and problem-solving skills by using maps and technology, following clues, and developing new ways to approach problems. They will also be introduced to significant landmarks, learn about the physical earth, and explore natural wonders of the world.
Some concepts covered in our first-grade social studies curriculum include:
- Map keys, compass rose, and map features
- Exploring the 50 states and different regions
- Discovering national parks and their preservation
- Reading and creating physical maps
- The interdependence of animals, plants, and the environment
Lessons Such As:
1st Grade Art (Colors & Shapes), Music, & Spanish Curriculum
With our first-grade art program, your child will have fun exploring colors and shapes. They’ll have an opportunity to get creative and make their own unique works of art and learn about different shapes and how to mix colors.
Our first-grade music curriculum helps your child discover the amazing world of music as they listen to different genres and instruments and more. They will learn about rhythm, melodies, and even basic piano skills and find fantastic opportunities to enjoy music and appreciate its power.
The Homeschool+ first-grade Spanish curriculum gives children a fun introduction to the Spanish language. They’ll enjoy engaging activities and interactive lessons that help them learn new words and useful phrases.